Thursday, March 12, 2009

Let The Music Play On...And On...And On...And On...


Everyday I wake up with a song stuck in my head. It's usually one from the current show that I'm doing and it usually is gone within a couple hours after I've started about my day. It's no big problem. However, some days I wake up with a very obscure song stuck in my head and when that happens I usually can't get rid of it until I actually hear the song. They're usually from the 60's or 70's. Songs that have impacted my life in some way. Thankfully, with technology being what it is these days I can usually fire up LimeWire and find the song, download it and listen to it and presto, the song is gone out of my head for another 10 or 12 years. I actually ended up with quite a nice collection of these songs on my computer and have since made an mp3 CD of them.

The bad part of this is when LimeWire fails me and I can't find a particular song. Like yesterday. I awoke with "Moody Manitoba Morning" by The Bells stuck in my head. Not a huge band and definitely not a big hit. I tried at home and I tried at the office but I couldn't find the song on LimeWire at all. I was getting so frustrated. It was playing over and over in my head and I just couldn't get rid of it. I listened to talk radio on the way to work (I love BMac and Rintoul by the way!)...I played Amanda Marshall on my laptop at the office to try and get a different song playing in my head. I listened to talk radio on the way home (not a big fan of Rick Ball by the way). It was all for naught. I woke up this morning...after a very strange dream about forgetting my lyrics while singing a duet with Ryan Kesler...yes, both Idol and the Canucks were on last night...and I'm still singing "It's a moody Manitoba...mornin'.....and I like it that way" over and over in my head.

So I Googled it. There's a ton of info on the song...first released in 1968...again in 1971...first hit for the band...etc. There's also a ton of info on the band...originally called The Five Bells...original keyboardist was replaced by Frank Mills (I better not wake up tomorrow with Music Box Dancer in my head!)...name changed to The Bells when one member got pregnant and had to leave the band...

And then there it was...just 4 posts down...YouTube: Moody Manitoba Morning - The Bells...OMG I totally forgot about YouTube! I couldn't click the link fast enough and before you can say "Frank Mills played for The Bells?" I was sitting back, coffee in hand watching images of a beautiful Manitoba morning play across my monitor while that old, familiar song played in the background and memories of Mabel Lake and a much more carefree time bounced around in my head. Ah yes, life was once again good.

Now the baby is crying, and work is calling so it's back to reality for our hero.

But at least that song isn't stuck in my head anymore!

Rock on.
J-Rock

No comments: